Uncovering the Threat of Harmful Toxins Lurking in Your Home
In celebration of National Animal Poison Prevention Week (March 19th-25th), our team is thrilled to educate pet owners about common household items that can be hazardous for furry friends. Let us help keep your furball safe!
If your pet loves to explore and is always looking for food, it can be disastrous if they consume any medications. Whether it’s heartworm preventives when left unattended or guests’ prescription drugs – these types of accidental overdoses are common amongst our beloved furry friends. Don’t hesitate another second – call an animal poison control hotline right away if you believe that your pet has ingested something!
Your kitchen is an absolute paradise for your pet, but it’s important to recognize that these scrumptious staples can result in dangerous illnesses. Along with alcohol poisoning and kidney failure, food items such as chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol or avocados could cause seizures or hypoglycemia – all of which may lead to devastating consequences. To keep Fido safe while you cook dinner tonight – make sure you invest in a secure trashcan cover!
#3: Household chemicals
Ensure the safety of your four-legged family members by ensuring that you securely store these common household chemicals:
- Cleaning products
- Aerosol air fresheners and other products
- Windshield washer fluid
- Nail polish remover
If your pet is curious enough to taste the foliage, many houseplants can be poisonous and even deadly. Lilies are especially hazardous to cats—even contact with the pollen can cause severe poisoning or death. Common indoor plants like dieffenbachia, elephant ear, and spider plants should also be avoided when you have pets in the home. Don’t forget outdoor greenery like ivy and oleander; they too can pose a threat if ingested by an animal companion! Before purchasing new flowers or adding any green elements to your garden, it’s always best practice to consult ASPCA’s comprehensive toxic plant list for peace of mind that you’re keeping your furry friends safe from harm.
#5: Batteries and coins
Pet owners should be aware of the potentially hazardous consequences that can arise if their furry friends consume coins or batteries. If a battery is damaged, your pet may suffer from corrosive chemical burns; however, even if it’s swallowed whole an intact battery could create life-threatening blockages in its gastrointestinal system.
If you suspect your furry pal has encountered a hazardous substance, contact our knowledgeable team right away.